Helpful resources




Check out your town’s website for a list local resources.


Offers a free and private way to find out if relatives or the children they are raising qualify for programs that pay for food, increase income and cover home and healthcare costs.

Help you find which government benefits you may be eligible to receive.

Department of Health and Human Services

Resources for grandparents caring for grandchildren.

Families First

Families First Health & Support Center is a not-for-profit community health center and family resource center serving the Seacoast region of New Hampshire and southern Maine. 

Family Support NH

Coalition of non-profit family resource centers (FRC) and family support programs (FSP) that are designed to meet the needs of the communities they serve.

National legal resource in support of grandfamilies within and outside the child welfare system.


The Hampton Community Coalition is an all volunteer nonprofit community action group working to improve the health and well being of Hampton Area children and families, particularly those caught in difficult life transitions or without a permanent home.

NH Children Trust

New Hampshire State designated agency that believes all children deserve to thrive in safe, stable and nurturing environments.

NH Community Action

Community Action changes people's lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities and makes America a better place to live. They care about the entire community, and are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other.

New Hampshire Family Voices

Provides free, confidential services to families and professionals caring for children with chronic conditions and / or disabilities.

New Hampshire Relative Caregivers resource guide


Helps individuals access and make connections to long term services and supports as well as understand and access Medicare and Medicaid.

Social Security Administration

Help with Retirement; Disability; Survivor’s Benefits; Supplemental Security Income.

St. Vincent de Paul, Exeter

The Society of St. Vincent de Paul Exeter offers emergency food and financial assistance to low income residents of Exeter, Stratham, Newfields, Brentwood, Kensington, and East Kingston. For those who do not live in our service area, we are happy to direct you to your local food pantry or town welfare office for assistance.

St. Vincent de Paul, Hampton

Saint Vincent de Paul has served the residents of Hampton, North Hampton. Hampton Falls, Seabrook, and Rye for 22 years. We partner with more than 70 local State government and religious service providers to meet the needs of our neighbors.

Check for a St. Vincent De Paul’s near you.


Waypoint works to create social safety nets for New Hampshire communities by finding solutions to problems as both practitioners and advocates.



New Hampshire Department of Education


Start or Early Head Start

To find Head Start or Early Head Start centers in your state, call 1-866-763-6481 (toll-free)

The U.S. Department of Education

Wide range of helpful information for parents and caregivers regarding children’s education from early childhood through college, special needs, disabilities, language challenges and gifted students.

1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327) (toll-free)

Health insurance

New Hampshire’s Healthy Kids Program

Relative caregivers may apply for free or low-cost health and dental insurance for the children they are raising through the federal Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Although CHIP is the national name, your state may use a different name.

603-228-2925 or 1-877-464-2447 (toll-free)

New Hampshire Medicaid

603-271-4344 or 1-800-852-3345, Extension 4344 (toll-free)

Food services  

Child Nutrition Program

Contact the school, center or program to ask if they participate in any of the child nutrition programs and how to apply. Relative caregivers should inform the program that they are raising the child and whether or not they are doing so through a court order.

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services

1-800-852-3345 Extension 0747

Women, Infant and Children (WIC)

States administer federal funds for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to children up to age five who are found to be at nutritional risk.

Financial assistance 

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)

Cash assistance may be available to eligible children and their relative caregivers.

1-800-852-3345 Extension 4238 (toll-free)

Mental health

Seacoast Mental Health Center 

The mission of Seacoast Mental Health Center is to provide a broad, comprehensive array of high quality, effective and accessible mental health services to residents of the eastern half of Rockingham County.

Tax credits 

Center for Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP)

To find out about tax credits in your state.

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

To find out more information about each of these tax credits.

Adoption assistance

Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption

To find adoption resources that may be helpful to you.

North American Council on Adoptable Children

To get information about your state’s subsidy, in addition to other adoption information.